The research of the Bioenergy & Biofuels LAB deals with the experimental and modelling characterization of thermochemical conversion processes applied to lignocellulosic biomass. Several analytical equipments and reactors are available for the purpose.
The main investigated processes are
- gasification and pyrolysis, but also
- traditional processes such as combustion, as well as
- innovative valorization pathways such as hydrothermal carbonization.
Besides, we also investigate possible syngas upgrading routes such as reforming, methanation and Fischer-Tropsch synthesis.
The research is carried out at different process scales, ranging
- from the micro scale studied in controlled lab conditions
- to the real scale studied through the on-site monitoring of plants in actual operation.
We are currently carrying out extensive experimental activities in South Tyrol on real small-scale gasification plants (50-250 kWel), coupled with internal combustion engines for onsite energy production.
The Bioenergy & Biofuels LAB is part of the Faculty of Science and Technology at the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano. It is also one of the laboratories at the NOI Techpark of Bolzano.
Come to visit us!